14 June, 2008

Massive blackout hits D.C.

June 13, 2008 - 5:22pm
(WTOP Photo/Adam Tuss)

WASHINGTON - A blackout brought much of the nation's capital to a standstill for more than two hours Friday morning.

Frustrated officials muttered darkly about the "Friday the 13th" blackout as some government employees were given the rest of the day off.

The power went out at 7:25 a.m., idling arriving office workers outside darkened workplaces. At one point, Pepco reported more than 18,000 customers without power.

Pepco reported power was restored to all customers before 11 a.m.

Having the power go out can be a major inconvenience, trust me, I know. I must admit though that I laughed when I read this headline. I didn't read about anyone getting hurt as a result of the blackout, and if I missed it somehow I am not making light of that. It is just that here in Costa Rica, our power goes off at least once a week on average, sometimes more.

What tickled my funny bone is that you won't see headlines like that here, because it is such a common occurrence. Part of what I found humorous was the use of the word "massive". MASSIVE power outage.

OK, so maybe it was only funny for me. Thanks for trying to understand. :-)

No comments:

join our mailing list
* indicates required