01 April, 2009

Premeditated Obedience

I have been spending some time these past few weeks in Psalm 119 and have really been refreshed by the continual challenge to love and obey God’s Word.

This morning I read the following verse and was challenged by God to think about my attitude toward obedience.

I have inclined mine heart to perform thy statutes alway, even unto the end.  Psalms 119:112

David made a decision today about what he was going to do in the future.  He decided that he was going to obey God’s statutes unto the end. 

David had premeditated obedience.

David committed to obeying God for the rest of his life.  Would he fail again even after making this strong commitment to God?  Sure, just like we will.  But the point is that his life was aimed at obedience.  Obedience was the driving force.  Obedience was the plan.

Failures caused temporary deviations from the plan of obedience, but David was committed to getting back on course as quickly as possible.

How far in advance are you committed to obeying God?  Are you just taking things day-by-day, seeing how things will go, and then deciding to obey God or not depending on what circumstances exist in your life?

I want to have premeditated obedience like David did.  Every new circumstance that God allows in my life should not require the question to be answered anew, “Will I obey this time?”. 

Lord, I have inclined my heart to perform thy statutes always, even unto the end.

No comments:

join our mailing list
* indicates required